Choose the health content that’s right for you, and get it delivered right in your inbox.
AdventHealth Orlando is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s best hospitals for gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery, and the AdventHealth Digestive Health and Surgery Institute (DHSI) continues to expand its physician leadership, research, clinical training, subspecialty services and community locations to provide access to advanced, multi-disciplinary treatment for even the most complex cases. Over the years, DHSI has become a destination hospital for digestive health, earning a reputation for high-quality care and achieving a number of key milestones including:
- Largest interventional endoscopy center in the U.S.
- One of two NAPRC (National Accreditation Program for Rectal Cancer) Commission on Cancer accredited Centers of Excellence for rectal cancer in Florida and the third ever such center established in the U.S.
- Largest volume of complex inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) surgery patients in Florida
- Inventors of the transanal minimally invasive surgery (TAMIS) technique and pioneers in colorectal robotic surgery and minimally invasive approaches
- The Pelvic Floor Center of Orlando, providing specialized, advanced pelvic floor diagnostics and treatment, including Central Florida’s only integrated multidisciplinary patient program
- Establishment of the groundbreaking multidisciplinary Fatty Liver Disease Center under the leadership of Torfay Sharifnia Roman, MD, who is triple board certified in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology
- The Center for Esophageal and Swallowing Disorders, the only sub-specialized clinic of its kind in Central Florida, seeing more than 800 new referrals annually
- Home to Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited fellowships in colon and rectal surgery, interventional endoscopy, advanced upper GI surgery, and minimally invasive colorectal surgery.
DHSI will be launching a new ACGME gastroenterology fellowship in 2021 and is exploring the addition of transplant and hepatology fellowships as well. There are a number of other exciting new developments planned, especially with the Center for Interventional Endoscopy (CIE) and IBD Program.
Center for Interventional Endoscopy (CIE)
The AdventHealth CIE is ranked in the top three interventional endoscopy units in the world, drawing patients from around the country and the globe. It was created to effectively integrate therapeutic endoscopy with minimally invasive surgery to provide state-of-the-art care for patients with complex pancreaticobiliary, liver or inflammatory bowel diseases. Staffed by internationally renowned endoscopists and surgeons who have extensive experience in the management of complex digestive disorders, it serves as a regional, national and international referral center for patients who may benefit from advanced endoscopic interventions. CIE also conducts collaborative clinical research and provides unique educational programs to train the next generation of endoscopists and minimally invasive surgeons.
Under the leadership of Muhammad Hasan, MD, CIE plans to expand its current CIE fellowship program. Additional growth plans include:
- Currently recruiting several new sub-specialized interventional endoscopy physicians.
- Expanding the 3rd space endoscopy program to become a national leader
- Expanding access and convenience beyond Orlando through new Central Florida community locations
AdventHealth Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Program
The first dedicated program of its type in Florida, the AdventHealth IBD program provides state-of-the-art, comprehensive care for patients with complex IBD, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. It brings together a team of specialists – medical gastroenterologists specializing in IBD, colorectal surgeons, radiologists, nutritionists, pathologists, psychologists, wound care (stoma) specialists, researchers, nurses, and others— with the shared goal of implementing a comprehensive, evidence-based approach to patient care. In addition, the IBD program is part of the Global Interventional Inflammatory Bowel Disease Group and offers clinical trials focused on improving existing therapies and rapidly translating research breakthroughs into treatments.
Working in partnership with the AdventHealth CIE team, the IBD program also provides endoscopic management of IBD complications, including strictures, fistulae and leaks. This includes chromoendoscopy and confocal imaging to investigate early-stage neoplasia and offering endoscopic mucosal resection as a treatment option. The IBD program already has the largest surgical experience of complex case management in Central Florida and has experienced tremendous growth in recent years. Achievements and expansion plans include:
- Will have three dedicated IBD gastroenterologists
- Expanding clinical trials to test new treatment options for the most complex patients
- Adding a new IBD surgeon sub-specialized in re-operative procedures, including re-do pouch construction
Stoma Therapy and Enterocutaneous Fistula Care Program
This program provides dedicated stoma care Nurse Practitioners in multiple locations throughout Central Florida.
Pancreatic Cancer Care
Our pancreatic cancer program cares for the largest volume of pancreatic cancer patients in Florida. Our expert team of specialized surgeons is dedicated to the multidisciplinary care of patients. Current and ongoing plans include the following:
- Exciting new developments in medical pancreatology
- A rapidly growing portfolio of clinical trials in pancreatic cancer treatment, including immunotherapy
DHSI Medical Leadership
- John Monson, MD, Executive Medical Director of DHSI
- Matthew Albert, MD, Founder, Center for Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Muhammad Hasan, MD, Medical Director, Center for Interventional Endoscopy (CIE)
- Mark Soliman, MD, Program Medical Director, Colorectal Surgery
- Irteza Inayat, MD, Program Medical Director GI, Center for Esophageal and Swallowing Disorders
- Sebastian De La Fuente, MD, Director, Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Fellowship
To learn more about the AdventHealth DHSI or to refer a patient, please visit AdventHealthDHSI.com.